Visit the castle's shop on WowThankYou

Find us at WowThankYou!

Sunday, 18 December 2011

The year that was 2011...

Still can't quite believe that 2011 is oh so very nearly over! With only 7 days to Christmas I'm wondering where it's gone!

It's only the last 2 years where I've sat there and wondered where the previous 12 months had gone, feels a bit like time's running away with me!

First for the personal stuff...

My god-daughter was 1 last weekend which scared me silly. I can still remember getting the phone call that she'd made her grand entrance like it was yesterday. Likewise, I still vividly remember getting the same phone call for her big sister's arrival and that was nearly 3 years ago! I love those little girls so much and really do appreciate being allowed to be a part of their lives.

My long suffering other half has seen me at my best and my worst since starting the business in February. He's put up with the constant mess, the tantrums when things wouldn't go right, the tears when I'd had rubbish craft fairs and was doubting myself, and of course not forgetting all the "so what do you think of this?". It'll be our 4 year anniversary next February and that's flown as well!

I've had some ups and downs in my 9-5 job but 2012 is definitely looking up on that front!

Now for the business review!

Having started in February making just cards, I've impressed myself with how much more stuff I've designed since then and how creative I can be when I put my mind to it. Although a lot of my inspiration comes at very weird times; I've had lots of light bulb moments whilst on the loo and in the shower!


It's been a journey which hasn't always run smoothly but I've learnt so much, met so many wonderful people and had my eyes truly opened to handmade items that it's all been totally worth it. I discovered that my items are really suitable for craft fairs as people want to take them away with them there and then which I just can't product with all my items being personalised. But the flip side is that I met some fab people including Ceri of Fruitbat Fudge.

So where to begin with the online stuff!


My facebook page has been the best online sales tool to date! It's so easy to share ideas, designs, items, offers, get feedback and can't believe I'm nearly up to 1,000 likers already. The trivia / riddles seem to have gone down really well so will be back with a vengeance in the new year.



I'm really grateful to Sarah for making me an admin on the Crafty-Bitz website and facebook page. She needed some help as she has the passion to promote other businesses but not always the time. Due to some networking we have some fab collaborations for 2012 and looking forward to promoting other businesses to see what other fab stuff is out there!



The lovely Anna at Creative Connections gave me the opportunity of supporting her with CRAFTfest which was a mammoth task from her point of view. It was a privilege to be asked to support her and I've got to know so many fab crafters who have been a god send over the last few months. Not to mention the massive spread in December's Creative Crafting magazine


I was so pleased when Tracey at WowThankYou accepted this castle on to the website as you have to be approved to sell there which I think is fab. I've spoken to Tracey on a number of occasions and she really does have such passion for the website and all the sellers using it.

I know the lovely ladies over at The Craft Network and both of their online craft fairs have resulted in sales which has been great. Collaborating with them next year with Crafty-Bitz which I'm really looking forward to as well.

It's hard to think back over the last 10 months as it all seems such a long time ago but I'm really pleased with the progress I've made and am looking forward to getting going with my sewing machine. Got lots of lovely ideas swirling round my noggin!

So just a big thank you to all my facebook fan, twitter followers, everyone who has visited my website and blog, thanks again for all your support a very Merry Christmas and hope your support continues into 2012!

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant summary - sounds like a fab start to your business. Here's to a successful 2012 too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have achieved a lot in a short space of time and I found your experience very encouraging. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks. I've just taken a look at the figures and was initially a bit worried but then when I've looked at the cost of my items I haven't done too badly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about light bulb moments, they can happen anywhere and any time. :o)
    Best wishes for Christmas and 2012

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful year. Time will only go quicker from now - I am always thinking and planning so far ahead that the year is almost over before it has begun!

    Have a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a very successful 2012

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a year! I may be coming to you next year for advice. Well done on doing so well. Merry Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete